Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Trish: Geek Girl Con 2011

This past weekend I got to attend Day 2 of the 1st Ever GEEK GIRL CON!  I just happened to be visiting my bff in Seattle, for our annual mommy getaway weekend and we hit it up!  It was EPIC!  OK...it was small, but that made it sooooo wonderful.  Plus, they totally sold out!  Good for them and that means another one will be on it's way next year!
So, once we got our badges and swag bags, we headed into the exhibit hall.  There were about 50+ vendors...and we had fun hanging out with the great people at the Mandalorian Mercs booth.  
 We attended 3 panels that day, but our first and most favorite was the "Geeks raising geeks" panels.  I got to meet and talk to "Star Wars Katie" and her mom Carrie.  That was my favorite part of the whole day!  Katie is such a sweet and brave little girl and I really admire her mom and all she has done to bring awareness to bullying.  She has a book coming out next year on the subject.  (I'll try to keep you updated on that one!)
Plus, we got some yummy yoda cookies from JustJenn.  Thanks Jenn!

That's me talking to Katie and her mom!
 Ms. Bonnie Burton was a guest at a few panels and also hosted a puppet craft lab.  I got to attend the
"Womanthology" panel.  This is such an amazing project...you need to check it out if you haven't already!
Me and Bonnie....*SQUEE*!!!!!
 That's pretty much all the Star Wars things we did that day!  We also got in some Harry Potter, Roller Derby and a Labyrinth screening and sing-along with sock puppets!
We had such a great time and got to hang out with amazing Geek Girls from all over.  It was so nice that it was small....we could hang out and actually talk with the panelists.  I will make it a priority to attend the next one...both days!  I don't want to miss a thing! You should all join me next year! 
Thank You Geek Girl Con!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous!!!! I've wanted to go that since I heard it was annouced

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! Looks like you had a great time. I really hope to meet Katie and her mom at CVI. Oh, and Bonnie Burton...she's just awesome.

    ReplyDelete