Friday, January 28, 2011

Jess: The Clone Wars Review: Overlords *Major Spoilers*

So I usually don't do this, but this episode warrants it. I had a twitter conversation with Eric of TheForce.Net (Read all his The Clone Wars reviews Here) and we agreed that this will probably be the most dissected Clone Wars trilogy, probably until, you know next weeks episode. I have a lot of opinions on it, so I'm going to share them because apparently everyone loves hearing this fangirl's opinions.....

I want to start off by saying my opinions are going to vary probably from yours, which is totally okay with me. Please don't take offense if I say something that you don't agree with. I couldn't help but notice Dunc from Club Jade took some flack on Twitter for calling the episode "fan-ficcy/not in a good way". First off, if you don't know the wonderful people at Club Jade-you should.When I first was introduced to Star Wars in 2005 their site was one of the first I follow majorly because they where women (I believe there is 1 guy "Club Jader" but don't quote me) and I being a fellow snarky girl, related to a lot of what they posted. I met one of their members (I really am bad with names, but I want to say it was Liz) at Celebration V who was probably one of the nicest people I have like ever met. Point of this story- I don't agree with Club Jade's opinions and you may not agree with mine. Respect is a huge part of fandom.

Okay- now onto the episode. Cue sarcasm. I just took notes in sequential order, but for arguments sake I have lumped them into different topics. They are in a logical thinking order.

Qui-Gon
Yeah.....it was cool having Liam Neeson back. But here's my thing- I'm not completely positive it was Qui-Gon's force ghost. I mean, the scene is followed by visions created by Son and Daughter. I think it's very likely that Father could have created the vision to Obi-Wan.I thought I saw Qui-Gon's eyes turn black toward the ends of his talk with Obi-Wan- Not positive but it's just a little thought. Other than the novelty of Qui-Gon being back I don't feel like he provided too much information other than Anakin would be able to discover whether or not he was the Chosen One.

Ahsoka Vision
To be honest, I think there is no substance to this other than being fodder/fore boding for the future. I don't think it related to this trilogy. It gave no revelations other than something most fans expect-that Ahsoka is likely going to die because she is Anakin's student. Cool, maybe. But I'm not going to dwell on this scene. It's cool. I get it. But I don't think it serves a purpose. It does however point toward something else that I will discuss is Father/Daughter/Son topic


Father/Daughter/Son

When this episode was first unveiled to have these 3 characters everyone, myself included, made the assumption that Father was a neutral being, Daughter was a Light side user, and Son was a Dark Side user. After watching this episode I can't say I believe that anymore. I feel like Son and Daughter, while having outward appearences of being Dark and Light, are equals. I can't see how Daughter could kidnap Obi-Wan and be a "Light Side" user. Yes, she obeys Father but something just isn't right with them being opposites. In fact, Son was the one that informed Ahsoka and Obi-Wan that the night was deadly, not Daughter. Daughter just left them there after Anakin touched her( I still don't get that....). In my opinion, Son and Daughter must be equals, that parallel each other. One does not "reign" the Dark side and the other the Light Side. I think in order to decipher this episode, we cannot think of them that way. It's far too obvious. We definitely don't know everything there is to know about these two.

Shmi Vision
I knew immediately from the "guilt" themed fortune cookie that Shmi/Tusken Raiders had to be some sort of plot point. Let's talk about Shmi's first. The emphasis from early on is blame. She says not to "let guilt define Anakin". All things you'd imagine Shmi would say to Anakin. And then we get to this bomb. "The only thing I love is haunted by what would happen should I let go." "Then it is not love. It's a prison". And then we get that whole "I am your fate" thing. My opinions on this continue into the topic "Anakin's Duty"

Mortis Itself
So Rex is at the coordinates, and Anakin + crew are at the coordinates...but they don't see each other...let's use our brains here. Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka wake up on a "planet" after being knocked out. This planet is called "Mortis". Mortis guys. Mortis. Mortis. Rigor Mortis. Death. In my opinion, there is no doubt that Mortis is not a feasible place. I am thinking a sort of Force Limbo or, dare I say it, purgatory.


Anakin's Place/Father

At the end of the Episode, Father tells Anakin that he is supposed to stay and replace Father. Anakin refuses. This whole revelation seemed strange to me at first. Father can obviously control both Son and Daughter- so why isn't Father the Chosen One as well? I don't have an answer.
More to ponder.At first it seemed really stupid to me that all this prophecy was was that Anakin is supposed to watch 2 Force "Freaks" and prevent them from ripping the universe apart. Seems so un-Star Wars. Then I remembered that Mortis isn't a real place, so Anakin can't really stay at Mortis. So suppose Anakin said yes to Father. I think a good conclusion is that Anakin would be accepting his destiny as The Chosen One. But didn't Son/Shmi imply that accepting his destiny would mean losing Padme'. Or did Son imply that because Anakin isn't accepting his destiny, she will not be his fate. However hidden under cryptic dialouge, the second seems correct to me. Both this vision and the Ahsoka vision are very much "Christmas Yet To Come" to me. Stay on the path you are on and this will be your future.
I pondered this for a little while....and then I remembered.....

Yeah. This makes sense now. As we all know, Anakin has problems letting go. (major sarcasm alert) If Anakin was had just chilled out and was like "eh. maybe Padme will die, maybe she won't. What ever happens happens, I'm accepting it either way" it's pretty obvious Padme' would have lived and he wouldn't have turned to the Dark Side. But this isn't a Revenge of the Sith discussion. It's an Overlords discussion.
So theoretically, in my opinion, if Anakin accepted his duty as The Chosen One on Mortis, I don't think it's serving a life sentence of force baby sitting. There would be a real world consequence to Anakin's acceptance. Perhaps it's inside Anakin. Perhaps it's inside the force.


The Future

Obviously, most, if not all, of this is not going to be factual. What we do know from the preview for next week is that they don't get off the planet. I really think at the end of the third episode in this trilogy it is all going to have been a dream/vision thing. There are some parallels between the Father/Son/Daughter I believe in, but I think I'll talk about that at a later point. I'll give you a hint though Luke/Anakin/Leia....in that order.


Opinions on the Episode

Like every Clone Wars episode before it, it has some pacing flaws. The only one I find without such flaws is "Trespass". I am not on that "Landing at Point Rain" or "Rookies" bandwagon. Overall, I really loved it. I'm not going to lie. I discovered Star Wars in 2005, making me a relativly new fan. To me, Star Wars is the main characters in the film. I read lots of EU, but when something expands on a character like say Anakin Skywalker, I care. I say it all the time- I'm not a big clone fan. I like the politics episodes. But I like nothing more than expansion on existing characters(see my love of The Mandalore Trilogy). Don't take this as I don't want to learn about new characters, because I do. But this is my niche'- respect it. This episode felt like Star Wars to me by the end of it.

3 comments:

  1. I'm the first to admit I don't regularly watch Clone Wars but I did want to watch this episode and in a lot of ways I'm glad I did. It's one of the few I enjoyed fairly well even though the more I thought it through the more I found all the wonderful plot holes. I completely agree with your assessment of the episode, though. Part of why I have a hard time with this series is the pacing. I keep hoping, though, that when viewed together they will all make more sense and be more enjoyable than watching 30 minutes at a time once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the first episode in a while that I was totally into. I agree w/ all of your observations and you brought things to my attention that I hadn't caught (thanks). I too, have a problem with the pacing. But, we were watching the Season 2 DVD this week, and I caught so many things that I missed and had a bunch of "a-ha" moments. So, I'm hoping it will work that way with this season as well. I did love seeing Qui-Gon, or rather, hearing his voice (I love Liam Neeson). And seeing a grown-up Ahsoka was pretty dang cool! I'm excited to see how this plays out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words about CJ. And I'm pretty sure you met Eliz. (We have a Liz, too, though: It's all very confusing. I think she was only at CV for a day or two, though.) But Eliz was out and about being social. She's one of the nice ones. And there are actually several male CJers, though not that many who blog - both our CW reviewers are guys.

    I'm not going to stand down from my thought that the episode was like a not-so-good fanfic - it was a little too one-uping the movies for my taste, at least if they're playing it straight. But I do hope you're right about it being a vision thing.

    ReplyDelete