Thursday, July 8, 2010

Julia: Star Wars Speed Dating?

So now it begins, the ridiculing of Star Wars fans to the point that they have announced speed dating at Celebration V in Orlando. And it's going to be televised no less! I'm not sure who came up with this idea but it's a stupid one in my opinion. Yes, conventions have a long history of shenanigans that take place AFTER HOURS when the con is closed but during the con? Standing in line for hours IS speed dating! You meet so many people that you don't need an arranged event. And with men far out numbering women, it's totally easy for a girl to get a date if she wants one. Some girls may disagree with me but if they can't get a date at a con, there is something seriously wrong!

Is Reed trying to attract women with this idea? Who knows. I would rather they take the time and space allocated to having a female-based collecting panel or exhibit of costumes worn by the heroines of the movies. I am sure there are better things that could be done. I would even go as far to say that I would attend a cooking seminar based on the Star Wars cookbook (Wookiee Cookies and Other Galactic Recipes if you are interested) over speed dating and I think that is a whack idea too!

We are female FANS of the movie and genre, not halfwits looking for something to do during the con. I'll be there - in the dealers room, in the collector panels, in the exhibits but most certainly not in speed dating! I hope to see you there with me!

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I'm married, so I don't need to look for a date, BUT, I meet the nicest people just while waiting in line at events. That's part of the Event Experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. It's archaic and sexist to have something like that on the official schedule.

    I would much rather explore the details of the heroines than waste my time on a 5 minute hookup with a sweaty guy in a Wookiee suit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coco that was hysterical! And can you believe that on another forum there was actually an "unofficial" hookup thread? There were plenty of guys on it but no girls yet that I have seen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I fall into the category of "I'm happily with someone," and while I agree with your points -- I think, with all due respect, you're only looking at this from one point of view. While yes, it would be stupid to generalize that all Star Wars male fans are awkward with women, it CAN be very difficult to meet a woman who shares the passion for it (and I know, I live in New York city!). Now, for the die hard fans, Star Wars is practically (if not indefinitely) a central part of our lives, and it can be hard to be taken seriously by women when making first impressions. This sounds like a good opportunity for any lonely male fans to be themselves and not feel self-conscious about it because the women they're meeting are already pretty hardcore fans themselves! While it's much easier for the women to find dates among the "sweaty wookiees", it's that much harder for the single males to do that. I do agree that televising this stunt is an awful idea, and that there's probably a better way of going about such a thing, however. Just my two cents!

    Also, I just wanted to come by and thank you for voting for my bagdes at TheForce.net! I hope I can convince you to do it again for the final round. =)

    ReplyDelete