Saturday, June 26, 2010

Mary: My Star Wars Story

Here is my personal experience with this movie.

I was not born when these movies first came out.

But I do have a faint memory of being about 6 or 7, sitting on the floor of my living room really close to the television and watching Star Wars on VHS (remember those?) with my Dad. I did not understand the plot, and why they had to go someplace, and who everyone was. All I knew is that I wanted to marry Han Solo and be just like Princess Leia when I grew up.

I remember making my Mom braid my hair like Leia’s and I would tell everyone and I mean EVERYONE that I met, that my name was “Leia”, and I was a Princess.

Then for a while, I forgot about this movie. Grew up a little, when I was in grade 8, I remember the first prequel coming out, seeing it just left a bad taste in my mouth. That was until, high school the next year.

I’ll be the first to admit it, I was that girl with the black hair, that hung out with all the nerdy guys. I went to a Catholic High School, and found comfort with that group of people.

Anyways, one day at lunch my group of peers were debating over something geeky, when they asked me which Star Wars movie I liked best. Well, you should have seen their faces when I said “that I hadn’t seen the movies since I was little, and did not understand why they were so popular still”. They told me that I had to re-watch these movies and then report back to them later. So I figured why not? Sat down, and spent my weekend watching them again at a more mature age.

I realized there is something special about these movies. Especially, The Empire Strikes Back. I remembered a time when I was that little girl, wanting to grow up and be a strong woman. I remember what it felt like to watch these movies, and wonder how they did different scenes. It was magical, wonderful, entertaining and suspenseful all in one.

Needless to say, I went back to my group of friends, told them that they were right. And I feel back in love with Star Wars overall.

1 comment:

  1. Same here-When I watched the Original Trilogy, I said to myself, man I need to be more like Leia, she's so strong. and I always tried to braid my hair like that....never worked out.

    I really wish I had a group of friends that loved Star Wars. I have no fellow fans, except for my brother- whom I've spread my love of Star Wars onto

    ReplyDelete