Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Julia: Star Wars fangirl checking in!

I am so excited to be here blogging about something that has been a part of my life since I was 13. STAR WARS! I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones who was around in '77 to see the original movie. Was it Princess Leia and her cool cinnabun hairdo or the stormtroopers rushing in with Darth Vader or maybe that cute Luke Skywalker (I WAS 13!), I'm not sure which but I was hooked. I don't know how many times I saw it with my older brother but I know my mom stopped letting us go after a while. I was a makeshift Leia that first year at Halloween wearing a white bedsheet wrapped around me and my hair twisted up into buns. And it was my brother who bought me the "early bird" mail-in redemption for the first set of action figures so I can blame my collecting problem on him!

In the years before the internet, I always thought of myself as the lone female Star Wars fan. My female friends thought I was nuts and my male friends thought it was cool but I really longed for someone that understood. All of that changed once the internet became widespread. Suddenly I was surrounded by women all over the world who loved the movies like I did. It's been heaven ever since not having to explain the enormous amounts of Star Wars toys tucked into my guest bedroom or the stormtrooper armor that I proudly wear as a member of the 501st Legion.




I am looking forward to the Our Universe community and hope that it will be a place for women of all ages to share their love of Star Wars. And I'll let you know in advance that I am something of an original trilogy snob but I don't let it get in the way of my Star Wars obsession. I plan on sharing pictures of my collection along with many of the fantastic times I have had traveling the galaxy to events. MTFBWY!

3 comments:

  1. I was the same way Julia, the girls thought I was crazy but the guys thought it was awesome. I'm glad I never let the girls change my mind cause, as you can see by my being here haha, I am proud to be obsessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you stop by Jennifer! I think this will be a great place for female fans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really awesome Julia. I plan on joining the 501st one day when I live somewhere more permanent ( I move a lot). Can't wait to see your pictures

    ReplyDelete