Thursday, June 24, 2010

Amy: My Star Wars Story

Oh, Star Wars.  How do I love thee?  Let me count the ways!
I could count the ways for a while, so I'll save that for later posts.  For now, I'll tell you about how Star Wars came into my life. 

I first saw A New Hope in the theater in 1997.  Though I was well along on my geek path by then, I have to confess that I grew up in a Star Trek household.  I only went to see the Star Wars re-releases because of some guy friends that were going.  I owe them.  I couldn't wait another month to see The Empire Strikes Back on the big screen.  I went to local video store the next day and spent the rest of my weekend with Luke, Leia, and Han.  I became incredibly excited for the impending release of the prequels.  We went opening day and got in line early for tickets (which was unheard of in the small town I'm from). 

And the prequels were fun.  I don't love the prequels, but I have found favorite moments in each one - the Battle of Geonosis and all of the Qui-Gon Jinn scenes among them.  I was especially intrigued by the earlier timeline.

"Begun, the Clone Wars have."

Yoda, you had at me Clone Wars.  The prequels got me interested in the expanded universe of books and comics.  So many characters and stories exist outside the movies, and I had no idea.  My love for Star Wars persisted but further exploration took a backseat until about two years ago when The Clone Wars movie was released.  That seemed to activate my fandom from its sleeper mode.  I have been devouring books, visual guides, references, and developing a comic collection since then.  I enjoy reading around the timeline of the Clone Wars and before because of the variety of kick butt female characters.  We've met several in the Clone Wars television series, but even more are present in the comics.  My particular favorite is Aayla Secura.  I know there are awesome girls after the Battle of Yavin too, but I'm taking it slow.  There's a lot of Star Wars awesome out there.

I'm really excited about Our Universe community, and I'm jazzed to hang out with girls who share a love for this galaxy far, far away.


Stormtrooper Armor

I am not a member of the 501st (it's borrowed armor), but I am hoping to apply for the Rebel Legion after I finish up a costume for San Diego Comic-Con.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit, I was really wary of the Clone Wars even after the film. It was very much boys marketed. Other than Ahsoka, I believe almost all the merchandise was filled with clones and testosterone. However, the show has really turned that around. I love Aayla. I know some female fans have problems with her, but I think she's a great strong female lead. The Clone Wars really has fleshed her out. And it's given us great non-Jedi females like Riyo Chuchi, Sugi,and Duchess Satine. They are all welcomed additions to the Star Wars universe.

    ReplyDelete